5 Best Credit Cards for People With Bad Credit [Review]
Having a low credit score can make life difficult for you in a myriad of ways. Just one of them is your ability to be approved for a credit card. Many credit card companies require that you have a good credit score before they will approve your application for a credit card, but you need a credit card to increase your credit score. You don’t have to feel as if there is no way out of this situation because there are credit cards for people with bad credit that will solve this dilemma for you.
Some credit card companies understand that you may be experiencing financial difficulties, and they want to help you persevere. The following companies offer the best credit cards for people with bad credit:
1. OpenSky Secured Visa Credit Card
Capital Bank was founded by community leaders in Albany, New York. It joined forces with Chemung Canal Trust Company and serves customers across the Capital Region. OpenSky Secured Visa Credit Card by Capital Bank has an APR equal to 19. 14 percent. If you ever need a cash advance, you will have to pay a 6 percent fee, and if you are making a foreign transaction, you will have to pay a 3 percent fee. You will also have fees for returned checks and late payments.
- You only need to pay your bills on time for six months, and you will begin to see your credit scores rise.
- You can increase your credit line without making an additional deposit.
- If you miss one payment, your APR will automatically go up.
- This card doesn’t offer you any rewards.
You can apply for this credit card today because they will not perform a credit check before deciding to approve you for a card.
2. Capital One Secured Mastercard
Capital One provides customers with auto loans, savings accounts and credit cards. It is the 10th largest bank in the United States. You will not be charged an annual fee for the Capital One Secured Mastercard, and it will help you build your credit score as you use it responsibly. With a $49 deposit, you will receive a $200 credit line, but it will be increased after you successfully make your first five monthly payments. It’s also one of the best credit cards for college students.
- This credit card is accepted everywhere in the world.
- You can manage your account online, by phone or by mobile app.
- It doesn’t offer you any rewards.
- The APR is relatively high.
Although this card has a high APR, it would be beneficial to you for the chance to increase your credit scores.
3. Credit Builder Secured Visa Credit Card
Armed Forces Bank opened in 1907, and it has been serving the needs of those in the military ever since then. Active and retired members of the military are welcome to take advantage of the affordable financial products that this bank offers. This card makes it easy for you to build your credit because it allows you to set your credit limit. It doesn’t charge you fees for going over your limit, and your APR will be equal to 22.74 percent.
- This card doesn’t have a cash advance fee.
- You have the possibility of earning a $3,000 credit limit.
- You cannot earn points with this card.
- You cannot receive any goods or services with this card.
You can obtain this credit card for people with bad credit in most states in the country.
4. Credit One Bank Platinum Visa
Credit One Bank is a leader in the credit card industry based in Las Vegas. It doesn’t offer just one type of credit card because it gives customers several options that will fit each individual customer’s needs. Credit One Bank Platinum Visa was created specifically to be one of the credit cards for people with bad credit. You may not be charged an annual fee, and your APR will be between 19.99 percent and 25.99 percent.
- This card reports to the major credit bureaus each month to ensure that your credit score has a chance to improve.
- This card offers you 1 percent cash back rewards.
- This card does charge you an annual fee of $90.
- Your purchases need to be qualifying purchases before you can receive the 1 percent reward.
When you have this credit card, you will have access to your credit score for free, and this is important when you are working to raise your credit score.
5. DCU Visa Platinum Secured Credit Card
Digital Federal Credit Union or DCU is a not-for-profit financial cooperative that is owned by the members. DCU has a presence in all 50 states and presently serves the banking needs of 800,000 people. This credit card gives you the chance to borrow against the savings account that you have with DCU as you take advantage of using your DCU Visa Platinum Secured Credit Card. You don’t have to pay any annual, cash advance or balance transfer fees, and your APR will be a low 13.25 percent.
- This card has one of the lowest APRs for secured credit cards.
- You can receive up to $500,000 worth of travel insurance for free.
- You will not have an opportunity to have a 0 percent introductory interest rate.
- The card doesn’t offer you credit card rewards.
This is one of the best credit cards for people with bad credit because you are welcome to apply for the card even if your credit score is “fair or poor.”
When you are learning how to choose a credit card, the best thing that you can do is look for cards that will not reject you if you have bad credit. The cards on this list will not charge you the highest interest rates, and they will give you a chance to improve your credit scores.